Tuesday, October 10, 2006

did you know white women glow in the dark?

Funny things that have happened here:

Amelia coined a term for a group of four or more women wearing traditional boubous who congregate. She calls them the boubou brigade. We saw such a brigade on our walk to the beach where about 25 women piled into a car rapid and all you saw was a sea of colorful head wraps, tree branch toothbrushes, and flailing arms.

Oumar, a Senegalese student in our sustainable development class, said he wants to marry a white woman so that he can still see her if the electricity goes out.

Emily and Julie described our experience in Senegal by parodying a cliché, “Life is usually take it or leave it. Here it is take it! Take it! Take it!”

My family can tell if I am approaching the house because the little kids who play outside scream “toubab toubab” (white person or European) when I walk by them. This has happened everyday without fail. You would think the novelty would wear off by now but it hasn't.

There are 2 goats living in my kitchen and every time I use the sink above their living area they “bah” uncontrollably.

My computer literally has bugs. There are ant-like creatures living under the keyboard that crawl around as I type.

No comments: