Sunday, September 13, 2009

Articles

Below is a link from the Associated Press regarding the floods in West Africa, highlighting some of the horrors outside of Dakar.

Also, a satirical piece published in the wonderful Granta magazine on "How to Write about Africa" by Binyavanga Wainaina.

While very patronizing and a bit superficial, this BBC article talks about the dwindling number of irregular migrants from Senegal. Since Senegal is rarely in the news, I figured I would link this article, even if it is problematic.

As a point of reference, I used to work in Yoff "the fishing village" that happens to house the international airport. Yoff is not a fishing village for many reasons, one being that there are fewer people who fish for a living because of the large numbers of commercial fishing companies that are plaguing West Africa with their over-fishing. Another story all together.

Another point of reference, this sentence, "They may be talking about an economic crisis in Europe but if you want a real crisis it's right here in Senegal," said in Wolof is stated by every taxi driver I have had in the past few months. Senegal dafa metti.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform
you're working with? I'm looking to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a tough time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something
completely unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!



Feel free to surf to my site - reviewed quantrim