Thursday, March 26, 2009

My mailman wears five glasses

I finally met my mailman one windy evening around 6:00 pm. I was leaving my house to go to the boutique to buy bread and he was delivering mail. We introduced ourselves his name is Mr. Fall and is very nice. What is remarkable about Mr. Fall was that he had five pairs of glasses on his body. I don’t know why this image has stuck with me for so long but it was so striking that I had to write it down.

Mr. Fall was wearing one pair, a standard large gold-rimmed pair that magnified his eyes. Another pair of sleeker wire rimmed glasses was on top of his head. Another gold pair was prominently clipped to his button-down shirt. And then the jewels peeking out of his jacket pocket, two more pairs, both were tortoise shell and slim. In the middle of our introductions he took a phone call. As Mr. Fall was gabbing away, I took the opportunity to stare at him and recount the glasses on his person. I wonder if they served different purposes or if he changes them depending on his mood. Senegal never ceases to make me wonder about the craziest things.

No comments: